A little bit sticky, a little bit sweet, a little bit spicy and a whole lot of YUM! Stir fry anything you have in your crisper with tofu and this sweet-heat sauce and you're family will think you're brilliant. No need for take out.
1.5 cups rice
1/4 cup soy sauce/tamari
3 Tbsp coconut sugar(or brown sugar)
1 bird’s eye chile(or 1/8 tsp red chili pepper flakes)
2 Tbsp water
14 oz extra firm tofu, drained, pressed & patted dry
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 cloves garlic, minced
1" fresh ginger, minced
1 white or sweet onion, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced on diagonal
Bok Choy or 3 baby bok choy, sliced separating greens from white
3-4 scallions, cut in 2" pieces
1. Cook rice according to package directions. In a small bowl wisk together the soy sauce or tamari, sugar, 2 Tbsp water and chili peppers from bird's eye chili.
2. Cut tofu into 1 inch cubes then toss with the cornstarch.
3. In a large nonstick skillet/wok over medium heat with 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, cook tofu, tossing occasionally, until crisp on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from skillet, set aside.
4. Add a bit more oil in skillet/wok. Stir fry onions, celery and white parts of bok choy and continue for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and continue to stirfry another minute.
5. Return tofu to skilletalong with the scallions and soy sauce mixture. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the tofu is heated through and the sauce sticky, about 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Stir in bok choy greens and 2 Tbsp water. Cover with lid for 1 minute or until greens wilted.
7. Serve over rice.