Soy curls as chicken makes stir-fry a snap. I've always thought take out chicken and snow peas were a little boring so I jazzed this vegan version up by adding onions and mushrooms then kicked up the spice with a Thai chili pepper. If you prefer the take out version, double the snow peas and leave the onions, mushrooms and Thai chili pepper out. Like heat but no Thai chilis on hand, use 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes or add 1-2 tsp sambal oelek to the stir-fry sauce. No rules, just yum.
2 cups rice of choice
6 oz (3/4 bag) Butler Soy Curls
1.5 cups boiling water
2 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp oil
8 oz mushrooms, quartered
1 white onion, cut into chunks
9 oz (2 cups) snow peas
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Thai chili pepper, seeds removed, chopped
1 Tbsp Mirin/shaoxing wine/dry sherry
2/3 cup no chicken vegetable broth
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp vegan oyster sauce(vegetarian stirfry sauce)
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tsp coconut sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Place soy curls in a bowl then pour boiled water over soy curls. Let stand 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain and pat dry, squeezing liquid out of the soy curls(I use my salad spinner to remove liquid then pat dry in a towel). Return to bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp oil and 2 tsp cornstarch.
2. Prepare stirfy sauce by wisking together ingredients. Set aside.
3. In a large nonstick skillet/wok over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp oil stir fry soy curls until well browned, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
4. Return skillet to high heat with 1 Tbsp oil, stirfry onions and mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes. Add snow peas and stirfry another minute. Add garlic and Thai chili pepper if using and continue to cook another minute. Swirl mirin around outer edges of skillet and toss mixture to combine.
5. Return soy curls to skillet and combine with vegetables. Add stirfy sauce and toss until well coated. Remove from heat
6. Serve Chick'n and Snow peas over rice.