Weeknights mean simple and quick. This sweet sticky tofu and greens fits the bill. I added sambal oelek for added heat, but leave it out if you prefer. Yum.
Rice of choice
14 oz extra firm organic tofu, drained and pressed
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1" ginger, minced
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
5 baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
2 green onions
3 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup soy/tamari sauce
2 Tbsp water
2 tsp sambal oelek(or 1 tsp sriracha)
1. Cook rice according to package directions. Make sauce by combining brown sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, 1 tsp cornstarch, 2 Tbsp water and sambal oelek(or sriracha). Cut tofu into cubes then toss in cornstarch to coat.
2. In a nonstick skillet over medium heat with 1 Tbsp vegetable oil, cook tofu, tossing occasionally, until crisp on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Push tofu to sides of skillet then add sesame oil to center of skillet. When hot, saute garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Stir in sauce and cook until bubbly and sticky and toss with tofu until well coated approximately 2 minutes. Sprinkle sesame seeds over tofu. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a large lidded skillet (if using skillet tofu cooked in wipe skillet clean) over medium heat with 2 tsp vegetable oil, add the halved bok choy cut-side down and cook until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over, sprinkle with salt, and continue to cook until tender, approximately 2 minutes. Add 1 Tbsp water to skillet, cover and continue to cook until water absorbed, approximately 1 minute.
5. Serve sticky tofu and grilled baby bok choy over rice and top with green onions.