Singapore Noodles has been a favorite of mine for many years. It's both a spicy and sweet, dry noodle dish. I made this version with soy curls and JUSTEGG, both of which are optional and can be swapped out for tofu.
1/4 (2oz) bag soy curls
5 oz vermicelli rice noodles
1/2 cup JUSTEGG(optional)
1/2 vidalia onion, sliced thin
1 cup match stick carrots
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded cabbage
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/8 tsp chili flakes, or flakes from 1 Thai chili pepper
1 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp mirin(or white wine)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce/tamari/Bragg's
1 tsp vegan fish sauce
1.5 tsp sugar(divided)
Sliced scallions for garnish(optional)
1. Prepare noodles according to package directions. Set aside.
2. Place soy curls in a bowl then pour 1/2 cup boiled water over soy curls. Let stand, stirring once or twice, 10 minutes to rehydrate. Drain and pat dry, squeezing liquid out of the soy curls(I use my salad spinner to remove liquid then pat dry in a towel).
3. Prepare sauce by combining mirin, sesame oil, soy sauce, vegan fish sauce and 1 tsp sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. In a large skillet/wok over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp oil. Pour in JUSTEGG, swirl to coat base. Cook until mostly set, then flip and continue cook another minute. Slide onto cutting board. To create ribbons, roll up loosely then slice once lengthwise then slice into 1/2" pieces. Set aside.
5. Return skillet to medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp oil. Cook soy curls, stirring frequently until browned approximately 5 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet and set aside.
6. Add 1 Tbsp oil to skillet then stirfry onion for 2 minutes, add 1/2 tsp sugar and continue to cook for another minute. Add carrots, bell pepper, cabbage and garlic. Continue cooking until just wilted, approximately 4 minutes. Remove mixture and set aside with soy curls and JUSTEGG.
7. Using kitchen scissors, cut the noodles into thirds and fluff them up. Add 1-2 teaspoons oil to the skillet, then add the cooked noodles and stir fry them over medium heat about 2-3 minutes, letting them soften a bit. Add the chili flakes, stirring 1 minute.
8. Spread the noodles out in skillet. Return veggies and soy curls. Sprinkle with curry powder, salt and turmeric then toss and stir until everything is evenly coated.
9. Pour the prepared sauce into the noodles. Toss and cook for about 1-2 minutes, until noodles are almost dry. Sprinkle with sliced scallions before serving(optional). Enjoy.