Sweet potatoes are frequently used in curry dishes. I added vegetables I had in my crisper (red pepper, green beans and summer squash) to create a colorful dish; use whatever you have on hand. The jalapeno adds flavorful heat, but can be omitted if preferred. No rules, just yum. Mmm my new favorite curry in a hurry dish.
1.5 cups rice of choice
2 sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp curry powder
2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp minced ginger
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper
1 red pepper, cut in 1" pieces
8 oz green beans, cut in 1" pieces
1 yellow squash, sliced in 1/2 moons
1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
1. Prepare rice according to package directions
2. Cook sweet potatoes in a pot covered with water. Boil until fork tender approximately 10 minutes.
3. While potatoes are cooking, in a skillet over medium heat, add 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add curry powder, mustard seeds and coriander and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly so not to burn. Add onions, ginger, garlic, and jalapeño cook for 1 minute then add red pepper and green beans. Continue to cook, stirring frequently for another 3 minutes. Add coconut milk and 1 tsp salt, simmer on low boil for 10 minutes.
4. When fork tender, drain the sweet potatoes and add potatoes, and summer squash to the sauté pan. Stir to combine, and and continue to cook until heated through, approximately 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro leaves and lemon juice. Serve over rice.