I love the ease of sheet pan roasted veggies, especially in the fall. This dish ramps up the simplicity of the veggies by pairing them Farro Pilaf then drizzled with Miso Caramel Sauce. So fancy, so yum.
1.5 cups farro
3 cups butternut squash(1/2" cubes)
1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed & quartered
3 carrots, cut into 1/2" x 2" sticks
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1 tsp tamari/soy sauce
2 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp white miso paste
8 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup sliced/chopped almonds
2 tsp sesame seeds
4 scallions, sliced with whites and greens separated
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Add farro and a pinch of salt to a saucepan, cover with 1 inch cold water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until farro is tender, about 18 to 20 minutes. (Instantpot for 7 minutes then release steam after 7 minutes). Drain and return the grains to the saucepan; cover to keep warm.
2. While farro cooking, toss butternut squash, brussels sprouts and carrots with 2 Tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet for 25 minutes turning halfway through.
3. Prepare miso caramel by adding 1/4 cup water to a small saucepan and sprinkle the sugar evenly over it. Cook, gently swirling occasionally (do not stir) until the sugar melts and begins to caramelize approximately 5 minutes. Add the scallion whites, minced garlic, and 2 tsp vegetable oil. Cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Remove saucepan from the heat and slowly whisk in 3/4 cup water, tamari, cornstarch, white miso paste, and a pinch of pepper. Return the skillet to low heat and simmer until the miso caramel has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. While miso caramel simmering, saute the spinach in a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tsp olive oil for approximately 3 minutes. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt then transfer the sautéed spinach, almonds, sesame seeds, scallion greens and lemon juice into the cooked farro. Keep warm.
5. Top the farro pilaf with the pansheet vegetable then drizzle with miso caramel sauce.