Adapted from a Purple Carrot recipe, these poblano pepper, corn & refried bean quesadillas are both tasty and fun to make. Peppadew peppers are delicious little sweet, mildly-hot peppers that I like to eat straight out of the jar. I add them to all kinds of dishes so look out for them in the pickle isle. No mango? Use an orange.
1/4 cup peppadew peppers, chopped
1 mango, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1.5 tsp lime juice
2 poblano peppers, deseeded & roughly chopped
1 onion chopped
1 cup corn kernels
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
15 oz can vegetarian refried beans
1. Combine the chopped peppadews, mango, cilantro and lime juice. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and mix well.
2. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add the poblano peppers and cook until charred in places, approximately 5 minutes. Add the onion, season well with salt and pepper and continue to cook another 5 minutes. *Add water, 1 Tbsp at a time to keep peppers from sticking. Add the corn kernels, cumin and chili powder; continue to cook until corn heated through. Stir in vegan cream cheese, 2 Tbsp water and cook until cream cheese melted and well combined, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Heat refried beans so they are spreadable. **alternately heat a 15 oz can pinto beans, no need to drain and rinse, in a saucepan then mash**
4. Prepare quesadillas by spreading refried beans over one of the tortillas. Top with corn poblano filling then top with another tortilla, pressing down slightly.
5. Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 tsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add one quesadilla. Cook until one side is browned, approximately 2 minutes. Flip quesadilla then brown second side. Repeat with rest of ingredients.
6. Slice quesadillas and serve with peppadew salsa and vegan sour cream(optional).