Adapted from a Purple Carrot recipe, this shepherd's pie recipe is a delightful twist; especially with the cilantro chutney. Although this meal can be eaten without the chutney, I highly recommend it, because it's delicious!
3 large carrots, chopped
1 large shallot, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup green/brown lentils
2 tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp vegan "no beef" broth concentrate
2 cups water
3 sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1/4 cup cilantro chutney(optional, recipe included)
1. Rinse and sort the lentils.
2. In a skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil, sauté the carrots for 3-4 minutes. Add the shallot, garlic, and dried oregano and sauté another minute.
3. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine, then add the vegan broth concentrate and 2 cups water. Add the lentils and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the lentils are tender and liquid absorbed approximately 25-35 minutes (depending on your lentil's package directions).
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. While lentils are cooking, add the chopped sweet potato to a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 to 15 minutes, then drain. (Instantpot 4 minutes, natural release). Add the butter and to the saucepan with the cooked sweet potatoes and mash. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Transfer the lentil filling to an 8x8 baking dish (if using dutch oven or oven proof skillet, no need to transfer to baking dish). Top with sweet potatoes and spread evenly over the top. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set oven to broil.
6. Sprinkle the minced walnuts over the shepherd's pie and broil until lightly browned, approximately 2-3 minutes.
7. Serve topped with Cilantro Chutney(optional).
1 cup fresh cilantro, leaves & stems
1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 inch fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1. Roughly chop cilantro, including stems, and jalapeño.
2. Add ingredients to small food processor or blender, pulse until well combined.