Mango and curry are a perfect combination; I use mangoes in curry dishes frequently. This dish features perfect dumplings simmered in a fruity curry sauce and baby spinach. I topped it mango curry chutney(found in the international isle alongside other Indian sauces in my local grocery store) for extra zing. So yum.
1 cup brown rice or grain of choice
1 onion, finely chopped, divided
1/3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup plant milk
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 Tbsp tomato paste
15 oz can coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 mango, peeled, deseeded & chopped
4 cups chopped baby spinach
Mango chutney (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking powder, chopped parsley, 1/4 cup chopped onion, plant milk and olive oil. Roll dough into 16 balls and set aside on waxed paper.
2. Place a medium saucepan over medium heat with 2 tsp vegetable oil. Add the remaining onion and cook until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add curry powder, garam masala, and tomato paste, and cook for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk, 1/2 cup water and 1 tsp salt; bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 7 minutes.
3. Stir in the diced mango and return to low boil. Drop dumpling balls into skillet, evenly separated. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
4. Add the baby spinach on top of dumplings, cover and cook another 2 minutes.
5. Serve dumplings over rice and drizzle with mango chutney (optional).
Recipe inspired by Purple Carrot