I finally found lion's mane mushrooms to try and lion's mane crab cakes seem to be all the rage so I thought I'd give them a try. These mushrooms have a lot of moisture in them so after shredding them with your hands, cook them in a non-stick skillet over medium low heat for 10 minutes to release it. I used JUSTEGG as a binder but a flax seed egg would work well also. I also used celery, as it is traditionally used in crab cakes, but I prefer minced jalapeños. *I bought Lion's mane mushrooms from a local grower, but can frequently be found at Asian markets.
8-9 oz lion mane mushrooms
2.5 tsp Old Bay seasoning, divided
1 stalk celery, or 1 jalapenõ pepper, deseeded & minced
2 Tbsp white onion, minced
1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
1/2 cup Panko crumbs
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
Dash hot sauce
1/4 cup JUSTEGG or 1 flaxseed egg
1 Tbsp flour
1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp capers, chopped
1 Tbsp sweet relish
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Tear mushrooms into small pieces(like lump crab meat). In a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, cook mushrooms in the dry pan, stirring occasionally to release their liquid, approximately 8 to 9 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning and cook for another minute. Remove from pan to let cool.
2. Combine all crab cake ingredients. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
3. Prepare remoulade by combining ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Heat skillet over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp oil. Form 6 patties and fry 3 minutes per side. Place on paper towel and season with salt.
5. Serve with remoulade and lemon wedges.