Food truck alert!! If I ever had a food truck, this spicy Korean BBQ sizzler would be on the menu. So good. I suggest this sandwich be accompanied by an ice cold beer because you're going to need it. I served them with Ultimate Oven Fries
1 lb ground plant meat or thinly sliced seitan
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp gochujang sauce
1 inch fresh ginger, minced
2 Tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
2 Tbsp mirin or sherry
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup applesauce (or grated pear)
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 green or yellow bell pepper, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
2 jalapeno peppers, deeded & sliced
1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
4 hoagie buns
1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
2 scallions, sliced
1. Make marinade for the plant-based ground or seitan by whisking together soy sauce, gochujang, ginger, sugar, mirin, garlic, applesauce, sesame oil and pepper. Toss with ground or seitan to marinate for 1 hour to overnight (I suggest overnight).
2. Combine vegan mayonnaise with chili sauce.
3. In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute sweet and jalapeno peppers and onions until softened, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
4. Return skillet to medium-high heat and cook plant-based ground or seitan, breaking it up while cooking, until well browned and charred in places, approximately 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Turn broiler on (or preheat air fryer to 350°) for 5 minutes. Assemble sandwiches by spreading a little chili mayonnaise on buns. Load plant-based ground or seitan onto buns, then top with the cooked peppers and grated cheese. Broil (or air fry at 350°) for 3-4 minutes until cheese has melted.
6. Drizzle sandwiches with remaining chili mayonnaise and sprinkle with scallions and sesame seeds.