My original plan was to make this yummy Italian Polenta crusted pie with meat(less) balls, but needed to use up my mushrooms & spinach. I'm going to make it again soon but with meat(less)balls. This recipe requires a few steps you can cut down by purchasing store bought vegan ricotta(add minced garlic to the mushrooms when sautéing).
2 cups water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup vegan parmesan
7 oz firm tofu, drained & pressed
1/3 cup garlic roasted hummus
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup vegan sour cream
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup shredded vegan parmesan cheese, divided
4 cups baby spinach
1 lb cremini mushrooms, halved/quartered
1 cup marinara sauce
1. Prepare crust- Lightly spray baking dish/pie plate with cooking spray. In a medium saucepan, bring the water, olive oil, oregano, basil and salt to a boil over medium heat. Whisk in the cornmeal. Whisking continously, bring the polenta to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently with a spatula, until thick approximately 15 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup vegan parmesan. Remove the polenta from heat and place into baking dish. Spread to form a crust. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Tofu ricotta- Place tofu, roasted garlic hummus, nutritional yeast, extra virgin olive oil and salt into a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Set aside.
3. Bechamel- Combine sour cream, nutritional yeast and just 1/4 cup grated vegan parmesan. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat with 1 tsp oil, saute spinach until wilted, approximately 4- 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet and drain liquid from spinach and pat dry with towels.
5. Return skillet to medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp oil and saute mushrooms until browned and have released their liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Assemble pie by spreading tofu-hummus ricotta over bottom of polenta crust. Lay the spinach over the ricotta followed by the mushrooms. Pour the marinara sauce over the mushrooms. Finally, carefully spread the bechamel over the pie and sprinkle with 1/4 cup vegan parmesan and fresh cracked pepper.
7. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Turn broiler to high and broil until topping browns slightly, approximately 3 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.