Oh yeah. My daughter requested crunchwraps for her birthday dinner so how could I say no? I used taco spiced Impossible meat, simple cashew queso, sautéed peppers, black beans, corn, pickled jalapeños, guacamole, shredded vegan cheese, lettuce and vegan sourcream. Woah!
1 cup cashews
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
4 oz can diced green chiles
12 oz plant-based meat (Impossible meat)
2.5 Tbsp taco seasoning, divided (recipe below)
1/3 cup salsa
4-6 burrito-sized flour tortillas
4-6 small flour tortillas
4-6 tostadas (or corn tortillas *see note)
Sautéed peppers & onion
Shredded vegan cheese
Vegan sour cream
1. Prepare queso by boiling 1/2 cup water and pouring over cashews; let stand 15 minutes. Add cashews and their soaking liquid to a blender along with 1/2 Tbsp taco seasoning, green chiles and nutritionalyeast. Blend until smooth.
2. In a nonstick skillet over medium high heat, cook plant meat seasoned with 2 Tbsp of taco seasoning. Once well browned stir in salsa and continue to cook until heated through. Transfer to a bowl and wipe skillet.
3. Before assembling crunchwraps, cut small tortillas to match the diameter of the tostadas.
4. Lay a large tortilla on a flat surface. Layer with plant meat, sautéed vegetables, corn, black beans, pickled jalapeños and some queso. Lay tostada over mixture. Spread guacamole over to tostada then top with shredded lettuce and shredded vegan cheese. Spread vegan sourcream onto small tortilla then invert to top layered ingredients. Fold in the edges of the tortilla toward the center.
5. Return the skillet to medium heat with a little oil. Once hot place crunchwrap seam side down. Cook for a 2- 3 minutes on each side until the exterior is firm, crunchy, and golden brown. Cut and serve.
**note** To make tostadas from corn tortillas, heat oven to 400°F. Spray baking sheet with a little cooking spray then place corn tortillas in a single layer onto baking sheet. Spray more cooking spray over tortillas. Bake 5 minutes, flip and bake another 5 minutes.
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 dried oregano
1 ½ tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper