Wet burritos are just giant enchiladas. Filling options are limitless and you choose red or green enchilada sauce to bake them in. These ones are filled with butternut squash, poblano peppers, red onion, corn, black beans and vegan cream cheese. I used green enchilada sauce then smothered them in a simple cashew queso sauce. Messy yum!
1 cup cashews
3/4 cup water
4 oz can diced green chiles or pickled jalapeños
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp chili powder
4 cups butternut squash, cut into 1/4"-1/2" cubes
2-3 large poblano peppers, deseeded & sliced
1 red onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1 cup corn
8 oz vegan cream cheese
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
6 burrito-sized flour tortillas
28 oz can green or red enchilada sauce
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Place cashews in a bowl then cover with 3/4 cup boiling water. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp vegetable oil, sauté butternut squash and poblano peppers for 5-6 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper. Add onions and continue to sauté another 5 minutes. Add corn, garlic, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Continue to sauté another 5 minutes(add a couple of Tbsp water to keep peppers from sticking). Stir in vegan cream cheese until well combined. Finally stir in beans then remove from heat.
3. Pour in 1/3 of the enchilada sauce into a 9"x11" baking dish to coat bottom. Fill each burrito sized tortilla shell with 1/6 the butternut mixture. Fold and tuck ends under. Place seam side down in baking dish. Cover with remaining enchilada sauce. *If there is leftover mixture, sprinkle on top of enchiladas before baking). Bake uncovered 30 minutes.
4. While enchiladas are baking, place cashews and their soaking liquid into a blender. Add green chiles/jalapeño peppers, nutritional yeast and chili powder. Blend until smooth.
5. When enchiladas are done baking, let stand 5 minutes. Pour Queso sauce over enchiladas then spread. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with optional toppings like vegan sour cream, shredded vegan cheese, salsa, sliced avocado.