Mmmm this creamy fettuccine carbonara is made with shiitake bac'n, while silken tofu creates a rich alfredo-like sauce. It's super rich and oh so good.
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, destemmed & sliced
10 oz fettuccine
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 package silken tofu
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp vegan butter
1/2 cup water
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp maple syrup
Vegan parmesan cheese.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Toss the mushrooms with 1/4 cup olive oil, smoked paprika, maple syrup, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Let stand for 10 minutes. Arrange flat on baking sheet (use parchment paper if available), bake until lightly browned and crisped, 25 to 30 minutes. Flip midway through baking to prevent sticking to pan.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. While pasta is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp vegan butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
4. In a blender or food processor, combine the cooked garlic and onions, silken tofu, juice from 1/2 the lemon, 1/2 cup water, nutritional yeast and 1 tsp salt. Blend until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
5. Return skillet to low heat, combine pasta with sauce from blender, heat through. Stir in mushrooms and parsley before serving. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan.