I recently had the opportunity to buy a pink oyster mushroom grow kit. Within a week I had a pound of beautiful pink mushrooms to experiment with. *Note-Any mushroom of choice can be used. With this recipe I kept it simple by sautéing the mushrooms in a white wine cream sauce and serving it over spaghetti and zucchini noodles. I kept the seasoning to garlic, salt and pepper but seasoning options include thyme or tarragon. No rules, just yum.
8 oz spaghetti
2-3 zucchini, cut into spirals
9 oz oyster mushrooms
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1 large shallot, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup vegetable broth, (no chicken or mushroom preferred)
1 cup plain non-dairy creamer
1 cup vegan parmesan, shredded
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Add zucchini during last minute of cooking. Drain and set aside.
2. While preparing pasta, destem bottom of oyster mushrooms then tear or slice into pieces.
3. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat with 2 Tbsp olive oil, sauté mushrooms for 3 minutes, season well with salt and pepper. Add vegan butter. Once melted, add shallots and garlic; continue to sauté another 3 minutes. Pour in wine and continue to cook until alcohol cooked off, approximately 2-3 minutes. Pour in broth and cream, bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for 10-12 minutes. Stir in shredded vegan parmesan and continue to cook until melted. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper.
4. Add spaghetti and zucchini noodles. Stir until noodles well coated and cook until heated through, approximately 2 minutes.
5. Serve sprinkled with additional vegan parmesan cheese if desired.