King Oyster mushrooms, also called Trumpet mushrooms, are so versatile and can be used in so many ways. Their texture resembles scallops when cooked, so they are a perfect choice for this deliciously rich pasta dish. Look for these mushrooms at your local Asian market.
3/4 box (12oz) linguine
4 large King oyster/trumpet mushrooms
1 shallot, sliced
3 large cloves garlic, sliced
2 Tbsp lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
1 Tbsp capers
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup vegan butter divided
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 cup chopped frozen spinach (or 2 cups fresh)
1/8 tsp chili pepper flakes
1/2 cup vegan parmesan, shredded
1. Cook pasta to al dente per package directions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water to use in sauce. Set aside.
2. Slice stems of mushrooms approximately 1 inch thick. Score each side in a criss cross pattern (optional). Reserve mushroom tops to use in another recipe.
3. In a large skillet over medium high heat with 2 Tbsp olive oil, add mushrooms and cook on first side for 5 minutes. Place a heavy weighted pan (cast iron if available) onto mushrooms to help sear; this step is optional. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then flip over. Add shallots, then continue to cook another 5 minutes. Use weighted pan on 2nd side if using. After 5 minutes, remove weighted pan add 1 Tbsp of vegan butter and garlic. Continue to cook another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring mushroom to coat well. Remove mushroom scallops from skillet to bowl, toss with lemon juice.
4. Add wine to skillet to deglaze and cook until alcohol burns off, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add vegetable broth and capers and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup pasta water and chili pepper flakes and continue to cook 4 minutes. Stir in remaining vegan butter and continue to cook until melted. Add spinach until cooked through. *add more pasta water as needed.
5. Add linguine to skillet and cook until noodles are well coated. Add mushrooms scallops and continue to cook until heated through.
6. Serve linguine with mushroom scallops, topped with vegan parmesan cheese and fresh ground pepper.