Remember this one? This classic recipe gets a vegan makeover with soy curls, no chicken vegetable broth, silk whipping cream and vegan cheddar cheese. If you don't have vegan whipping cream, use coconut milk, non-dairy coffee creamer, or any thick plant milk. No "chicken flavored" vegetable broth, use regular vegetable broth. No rules, just yum.
1/2 bag (4oz) Butler soy curls
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup long grain white rice
4 cups "no chicken" vegetable broth, divided
1 cup silk non-dairy whipping cream (or plant-based cream, milk or coconut milk)
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1.5 cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp vegan butter
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Boil 1 cup of the "no chicken" vegetable broth. In a bowl, soak soy curls in hot broth for 10 minutes. Drain, squeeze out liquid and pat dry.
2. In a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat with 2-3 Tbsp oil, saute onion and soy curls, until browned, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, approximately 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Stir in rice, cream(or milk), and 1.5 cups of the broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Stir in remaining broth and vegan cheese, then add broccoli florets. Continue to cook covered until broccoli is tender and cheese is melty, about 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
5. Melt vegan butter then stir it together with panko crumbs and nutritional yeast. Heat broiler on high.
6. Sprinkle panko crumb mixture over Cheezy Chick'n & Broccoli Skillet and season with salt and pepper. Broil until golden and crispy, approximately 2-3 minutes.