Rich and decadent is the only way to describe this dish. If you're a fan of pumpkin, you're going to love pumpkin alfredo. I used Kite Hill vegan ricotta cheese in this recipe but if you can't find premade ricotta, tofu ricotta is pretty easy to make. I also suggest Follow Your Heart brand shredded mozzeralla as it bubbles, melts and browned better than any other brand I've tried; it's my go to vegan mozzarella for pizza.
2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and sliced into 1/8" thick half moons
12 lasagna noodles
1 lb baby spinach
8 oz Kite Hill vegan ricotta
1/2 cup vegan parmesan
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup vegan butter
1 shallot, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
15 oz can pure pumpkin
14 oz can coconut milk
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried sage
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
7 oz shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss butternut squash in 1 Tbsp olive then place on parchment paper lined baking sheets in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. Bake 15 to 20 minutes then set aside. Decrease oven temperature to 375°F.
2. Cook lasagna noodles to el dente according to package directions. Drain then rinse under cool water. Place noodles side by side on a lightly sprayed baking sheet to keep from sticking to one another.
3. Saute spinach in skillet over medium high heat with 1 tsp oil until wilted(or steam it if preferred). Transfer to a colander and squeeze liquid from spinach with back of spoon or use towel. In a medium bowl stir together vegan ricotta, spinach and parmesan cheese.
4. Soak cashews in 1 cup boiling hot water. Place a skillet over medium heat. Add vegan butter and sauté shallot and garlic until soft, approximately 3 minutes. Add cashews, including soaking liquid, pumpkin, coconut milk, tomato paste, salt, pepper and sage. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer pumpkin alfredo sauce to blender then blend until smoothapproximately 1 minute.
5. To assemble lasagna, spread about 1 cup of sauce into a deep 9"× 9" baking dish. Add a layer of noodles(3), cutting to size to fit the dish. Top the noodles with 1/3 of the spinach ricotta mixture. Top with 1/3 of the roasted butternut squash followed by 1/4 of the vegan mozzarella. Top with 1 cup pumpkin alfredo sauce. Repeat the layers (noodles, spinach-ricotta, butternut squash, mozzarella & sauce) ending with a layer of noodles then cover with remaining sauce. **The remaining mozzarella will be added later.
6. Carefully cover(loosely) with foil paper. Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and remove foil paper. Sprinkle remaining vegan mozzarella over lasagna. Broil until cheese bubbles and brown in places. Let rest 15-30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired.