Like pumpkin, butternut squash goes in just about anything, so why not pasta sauce? This recipe makes an entire lasagna pan of pasta in case you're in the mood to share. I served it with a little hot sauce.
1 lb pasta of choice
1 lb butternut squash, 1/2" cubes
1 bunch kale, destemmed and chopped
1 shallot, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1 lemon, zested
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
12 oz silken tofu
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F. Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente. Reserve 1 3/4 cups of pasta water to use in sauce and then drain. Return the macaroni to the pot and toss with 2 tsp olive oil to prevent from sticking. Set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, toss the butternut squash in 1 Tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast on baking sheet 20 minutes. Remove from oven and lower oven temperature to 350°F.
3. In a skillet, over medium heat with 1/2 Tbsp olive oil. Add 2 cloves of minced garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Add the kale, season with salt and pepper, and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
4. Wipe the skillet clean, return to stove over medium heat, and add 2 Tbsp vegan butter. Add the shallot and remaining garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the panko and continue to cook another 4 minutes. Remove skillet from stove. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the lemon zest.
5. In a blender add the tofu, dijon mustard, smoked paprika, vegan Worcestershire, nutritional yeast, half of the roasted butternut squash, juice from 1/2 lemon, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and reserved pasta water. Blend until smooth.
6. Combine the butternut sauce, remaining roasted butternut squash, kale and pasta. Pour into baking dish and top with garlic panko breadcrumbs. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.