Gnocchi is a filling alternative to either pasta or potatoes. This recipe using Gnocchi from Trader Joe's, Sweet Earth vegan bacon, butternut squash and kale brings a flavorful combination together for a simple weeknight dinner. Yum
16 oz vegan gnocchi
5.5 oz package vegan bacon
3 cups butternut squash, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 bunch lacinato kale, destemmed & chopped
1 large shallot, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup plant-based creamer
Salt & pepper to taste
Red chili pepper flakes for serving
1. Cook gnocchi in boiling water until they float to the surface, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water. Drain gnocchi and set aside.
2. In a skillet over medium-high heat with a little oil, cook plant-based bacon until browned, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside. Once cooled, chop into small pieces.
3. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to skillet and sauté butternut squash for 6 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper. Add kale to the skillet, season with another pinch of salt and continue to sauté another 3 minutes.
4. Push butternut squash and kale to perimeter of skillet and add 1 tsp more oil to center. Add cooked gnocchi and sauté for 3 minutes.
5. Push gnocchi to perimeter of skillet and add 1 tsp more oil to center. Add shallots and garlic and continue to sauté for 2 minutes. Sprinkle sage and nutmeg over shallots and cook 30 seconds to release aromatics.
6. Combine all ingredients then stir in pasta water and plant-based creamer. Return vegan bacon to skillet, stir to combine and cook until heated through, approximately 1-2 minutes. Adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Serve sprinkled with red chili pepper flakes.