Is Borscht a soup or a stew? I don't know the answer, but I know this soup/stew is delicious. Beets are a superfood and Cannellini beans are filling, so this dish will not only fill you with nutrients, it will fill your belly too.
3 medium beets, peeled & finely diced
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tsp caraway seeds
6 cups vegan beef flavored vegetable broth
4 cups finely chopped cabbage
1 lb russet potatoes, peeled & diced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
15 oz can Cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp of sugar
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
Vegan sour cream
1. In stockpot/Dutch oven, sauté beets, carrot and onions in 1 Tbsp olive oil until veggies softened, approximately 10 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste and carraway seeds and continue to sauté for 1 to 2 minutes to release aromatics.
2. Stir in the broth, cabbage, potatoes, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer until vegetables tender, approximately 30 minutes.
3. Stir in beans and continue to simmer until heated through, approximately 3 minutes.
4. Remove the pot from heat and stir in the lemon juice and sugar. Let stand 10 minutes.
5. Remove bay leaf and stir in dill. Serve with dollop of vegan sour cream and dark rye bread.