Do you Bibimbap? "Bibim" (various ingredients), "Bap"(rice) is a popular Korean dish. I made Bulgogi spiced seitan then added a variety of veggies, cucumber salad and kimchee over crispy fried rice and drizzled with sweet chili aoli served straight from the skillet "family style." I've included all the recipes if you're feeling up to the challenge, but the main recipe here is for the Bulgogi Seitan. **Substitute ground plant-based meat if preferred**
1 lb seitan, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp gochujang sauce
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 inch fresh ginger, minced
2 Tbsp coconut/brown sugar
2 Tbsp mirin or sherry
2 garlic cloves, minced, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup applesauce(or 1 apple, grated)
1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
1.5 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
2 cups Sushi Rice
2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil, divided
1.5 cups cremini mushrooms, halved
1.5 cups carrots, sliced
1 Tbsp Gochujang sauce
1 Tbsp mirin
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp water
1 bunch Chinese Broccoli, roughly chopped
1/2 cup vegan kimchee, chopped
2 scallions, sliced
1 Cucumber, peeled & sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1. Make marinade for the seitan by whisking together soy sauce, gochujang, ginger, sugar, mirin, garlic, applesauce, sesame oil and pepper. Toss with sliced seitan to marinate for 1 hour to overnight (I suggest overnight).
2. Cook rice, set aside and allow to cool. Prepare cucumber salad by tossing sliced cucumbers with minced garlic, sesame oil and rice vinegar. Season with salt & pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Combine 1 Tbsp gochujang, 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp mirin, 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp water then toss with carrots and mushrooms. Roast vegetables until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes(or airfry @ 370°F for 8 minutes)
4. Combine vegan mayonnaise with chili sauce.
5. In a skillet over medium high heat and cook seitan, breaking it up while cooking, until well browned and charred in places, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat to keep warm.
6. Wipe skillet and return to medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp oil and 1 tsp sesame oil, saute Chinese broccoli approximately 4 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp water, cover and simmer until charred and leaves bright green, approximately 4 minutes. Season with salt, remove from skillet and set aside.
7. Fluff the cooked rice with a fork. Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add 1 Tbsp sesame oil. Once hot, add the rice, press into an even layer, and cook until the bottom begins to crackle and brown, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
8. Serve family style right out of the skillet by topping rice with Bulgogi seitan, gochujang roasted vegetables, cucumber salad, greens, and kimchi. Drizzle with chili sauce and sprinkle with sliced scallion and sesame seeds.