I've been eating Tofu Pad Thai for as long as I can remember. Now, with vegan fish sauce(V-fish brand from Amazon) and JUSTEGG, it tastes exactly as I remembered. The pad thai sauce in my recipe includes tamarind concentrate I bought from Amazon, but rice vinegar substitutes nicely. Note- Pad Thai cooks quickly so be sure to have all the ingredients ready before beginning.
15 oz block extra firm tofu, drained, pressed & pat dry
1/4 cup cornstarch
5 oz pad thai rice noodles
1 shallot or 1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2" ginger, minced
1 carrot, peeled & cut into thin sticks
2/3 cup JUSTEGG
5 scallions, sliced into 1.5" pieces
3 to 4 cups bean sprouts
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup chopped peanuts
3 Tbsp vegan fish sauce
3 Tbsp coconut sugar
1.5 Tbsp tamarind concentrate + 2 Tbsp water(or 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar)
1 tsp soy sauce/tamari
1-2 bird's eye chil pepper, crushed(or 1/8 to 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes)
1. Prepare sauce by wishing together vegan fish sauce, coconut sugar, tamarind concentrate + water, soy sauce and as much bird's eye chili peppers as you like. Set aside.
2. Prepare rice noodles per package directions. Set aside.
3. Cut tofu into 1" cubes. Toss in cornstarch.
4. In a large skillet or wok over high heat with 2 Tbsp oil (avocado or coconut oil is appropriate for high heat applications), cook tofu until lightly brown, approximately 4 minutes per side. Remove from skillet, ser aside.
5. Add another 1 Tbsp oil to skillet. Stir fry shallot, garlic, ginger and carrot sticks approximately 3 minutes. Push to edges of skillet.
6. Lower heat to medium. Add JUSTEGG to skillet. Season with salt and pepper and cook until scrambled. Season with kala namak(black salt if desired). Push JUSTEGG to edges of skillet with vegetables.
7. Return heat to high. Add another 1 Tbsp oil to skillet. Add noodles to skillet and spread out. Cook 2 minutes, tossing gently, then push to sides of skillet.
8. Add stirfry sauce to center of skillet. Once bubbling, gently toss with noodles. Return tofu to skillet along with scallions. Toss until heated through.
9. Add beansprouts and toss until everything coated. Add chopped cilantro. Remove from heat.
10. Sprinkle chopped peanuts over pad thai and serve with lime wedges.