Here's a crunchy summer salad with Thai styled peanut dressing and crispy airfried tofu (to avoid using the stove). I included pan fried tofu directions too. I used half a dried Thai chili pepper in this dressing to spice it up. Sriracha or sambal oelek can be substituted or left out altogether.
14 oz extra-firm tofu, drained & pressed
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 large romaine heart, chopped
3 cups baby spinach
2 cups shredded cabbage(purple & green)
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
3 scallions, sliced
1 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup crispy onions or chopped peanuts
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1.5 Tbsp maple syrup
1 lime, juiced(2-3 Tbsp)
1/2" minced ginger(1/2 tsp ground)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small Thai chili, seeds removed or 1 tsp sriracha (optional)
3 Tbsp water
1. Slice tofu into 1/2 inch cubes then place into a mixing bowl. Toss tofu with 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp rice vinegar and 1 tsp toasted sesame oil. If air frying tofu, toss with 1 Tbsp cornstarch and let marinate for 15 minutes. If pan frying, reserve the cornstarch then toss tofu with cornstarch just before frying.
2. In a food processor or blender(or wisk together) combine dressing ingredients and blend (or wisk) until smooth. Set aside.
3. Airfry tofu-Preheat airfryer to 400°F for 5 minutes. Place tofu in basket. Cook 12-15 minutes, tossing once midway.
Panfry tofu- Toss marinated tofu with cornstarch just before cooking. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil, cook tofu until browned and crispy in places, approximately 6-8 minutes.
4. While tofu is cooking, combine the chopped romaine, baby spinach, cabbage, red peppers, carrots, cilantro and scallions in a large bowl. Toss with 3/4 of the peanut dressing(reserve remaining dressing) until well combined.
5. Divide the salad among bowls or plates. Top with crispy tofu then drizzle remaining peanut dressing over salads. Top with crispy onions or chopped peanuts.