I doubt many of us need to follow a fajita recipe, but the included fajita spice blend recipe is worth a look as this homemade version rivals any prepackaged fajita spice. Soy curls are the perfect vegan chicken-like strips used to make fajitas. I topped my fajitas with pickled red onion and chipotle crema(both recipes included) and served it with Fiesta Rice.
6 oz (3/4 bag) Butler Soy Curls
2 cups chick'n flavored vegetable broth or water
3 Tbsp fajita spice blend(recipe below)
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
2 Tbsp vegan sour cream
2-3 tsp chipotle in adobo
3 bell peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced
1/4 cup water
1 lime juiced (4 Tbsp), divided
1. Bring chick'n flavored vegetable broth to a boil. Place soy curls in a bowl, pour broth over soy curls and let soak to rehydrate for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry, squeezing the liquid out with a towel. Toss soy curls with 1.5 Tbsp fajita spice. Set aside.
2. If using pickled red onions, combine thinly sliced red onion with red wine vinegar and 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl stir together vegan mayonnaise, vegan sour cream, chipotle in adobo, half the lime juice and a pinch of salt.
4. In a large skillet over medium high heat with 2 Tbsp oil. Add the seasoned soy curls until cooked through and browned, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from skillet.
5. Increase heat to high and add another 1-2 Tbsp oil. Add peppers to skillet and cook for 4 minutes. Sprinkle remaining fajita spice over peppers and continue to cook another minute. Add 1/4 water and continue to cook another minute or until peppers are softened to your preference. Return soy curls to skillet. Sqeeze remaining lime juice over mixture, and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
4. Assemble fajitas with shredded lettuce, soy curl mixture, pickled red onions and chipotle crema.
FAJITA SPICE BLEND
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper