Paneer, an Indian cheese, gets a vegan makeover with tofu. I love making tofu Paneer because marinating the tofu in lemon juice and miso paste before cooking gives it a creamy texture and browns beautifully. Tikka masala is a delicious combination of spices. I mixed up the spice blend (recipe included) with spices I had on hand instead if buying it premade. I made saffron rice but Mahatma saffron rice is vegan, or if preferred, use basmati rice.
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp white miso paste
15 oz extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and cut in 1" cubes
1 onion, diced
2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp tikka masala spice(recipe included)
1 can coconut milk
8 oz baby spinach
Mango chutney (I used Patak brand)
Tikka Masala Spice Mix
1/2 Tbsp coriander
1& 3/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp tumeric
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp pepper
1. Add the lemon juice and white miso paste to a large bowl. Whisk until well combined. Place the tofu cubes into the bowl with the lemon miso and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate until Step 3.
2. Cook rice according to package directions
3. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add the marinated tofu and cook until browned on two sides, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Sprinkle the tofu with a pinch of salt and transfer to a plate.
4. Return the skillet to medium-high heat with 2 tsp vegetable oil. Add the diced onion and cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the minced ginger, minced garlic, and tikka masala spice, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the coconut milk, 1/4 cup water, 1 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper. Bring to a boil, then add the spinach. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until spinach wilts, about 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Return the tofu to the saag in the skillet and cook until heated through. Serve over rice with mango chutney.