Love Italian wedding soup but not in the mood to make 1000 meatballs? I made this delicious one pot version using vegan Italian sausages coated in breadcrumbs instead of meatless balls. Seriously delicious and super easy. Did I mention it cooks in pot? Yum. *wine optional but I highly suggest using it as the wine adds depth of flavor
2 Vegan Italian Sausages(Fieldroast)
2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks of celery,chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup white wine (optional)
6 cups 'no chicken' vegetable broth
2/3 cup Acini Di Pepe pasta
4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
Vegan parmesan cheese
1. Cut vegan Italian sausages into 1/4 moon shape. Toss with dried bread crumbs then refrigerate while preparing vegetables.
2. In Dutch oven or stock pot, saute sausage in a small amount of olive oil until lightly browned, approximately 4 to5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
3. Add a little more olive oil to stockpot then add onions, carrots and celery; saute for 5 minutes adding small amount of water to prevent sticking if needed. Add white wine (optional) simmer for 1 to 2 minutes to allow alchohol to burn off. Add chicken flavored vegetable broth. Bring to boil then add Acini Di Pepe pasta. Boil uncovered 9 minutes stirring occasionally.
4. Return sausage to soup and stir in chopped spinach. Return to low boil for 2 minutes.
5. Serve in bowls topped with vegan parmesan cheese.