Yummy roasted root veggies combined with wild rice then tossed in lemon caper sauce makes an easy dinner. Use any vegetables you have on hand. No rules, just yum.
1 cup wild rice
1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved
2 sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 shallot, minced
1 lemon, zested
3 Tbsp vegan butter
1 Tbsp capers
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Cook rice according to package directions. I used my instantpot rice to water ratio 1:1 for 23 minutes with natural release.
2. Toss Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes with 2 Tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet for 20 minutes or until browned.
3. In a small skillet over medium heat, toast pepitas until browned, shaking pan to prevent burning, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Return the skillet to medium heat with 1 tsp olive oil. Saute shallot until softened, approximately minutes. Add the vegan butter and capers, and stir until the butter has melted. Stir in juice from half the lemon, lemon zest and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer and then remove from the heat.
5. Add roasted vegetables, lemon butter sauce and chopped parsley to rice. Toss gently to combine. Serve topped with toasted pepitas.