Here's a nice savory winter squash dish fancy enough for guests yet casual enough for any weeknight dinner. I've made this before using the wild rice as stuffing for the squash. This time, however, I simply served the squash over the rice drizzled with rosemary-cashew cream(optional). Another winter favorite around here. Yum.
1 cup wild rice
2 acorn squash
4 Fieldroast Apple-sage sausages, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
8 oz mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1/3 cup dried cranberries chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 tsp white miso paste
1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1. Cook rice according to package directions(I used my instantpot, 1:1 rice:water, for 23 minutes on high with natural release). Set aside. Preheat oven to 425°F. If using rosemary-cashew cream, soak cashews in 1/2 cup boiling water.
2. Prepare rosemary cashew cream sauce by placing a small skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tsp vegetable oil. Saute shallot and rosemary until the shallot is softened, approximately 3 minutes. Transfer the shallot and rosemary mixture to a blender along with the cashews and their soaking water, garlic clove, miso paste, balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend rosemary cream on high until smooth. Set aside.
3. Slice top and bottom from acorn squash, slice in half lengthwise then deseed. Slice into 1" half moons. Brush squash with a little oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, turn over and bake another 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
4. While squash baking, place a large skillet over medium heat with 1/2 Tbsp oil. Add sausage and saute until browned, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside. Return skillet to medium high heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add onion and celery; saute 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms, season well with salt and pepper and continue to saute another 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute. Stir in parsley and cook another 2 minutes. Stir in sausage, cooked rice, dried cranberries and lemon juice and cook until heated through, approximately 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve roasted Acorn squash over the apple-sage rice then drizzle with rosemary cashew cream and sprinkle with chopped parsley.