These delicious portobello mushrooms are stuffed with sundried tomatoes and vegan mozzarella cheese then served over sauteed spinach and rosemary polenta. Simple and delicious. Recipe adapted from Purple Carrot.
3 large portobello caps
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 1/2 cups plant-based milk
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup cornmeal polenta
3 Tbsp vegan butter
1.5 Tbsp agave
1/2 cup vegan mozzarella, shredded
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 oz baby spinach
1/8 tsp red chili flakes
3 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped(optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Wipe mushroom caps with a wet paper towel, remove stems and place in a large bowl. Coat mushrooms well with the balsamic vinegar, 1.5 Tbsp olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place mushrooms, gill side up on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven until tender, approximately 22 to 25 minutes.
2. Heat the plant-based milk, 1.5 cups water and rosemary in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then slowly add the polenta whisking continuously. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and whisk polenta until it begins to thicken, approximately 5 minutes. Stir in the vegan butter and agave to the polenta. Remove from heat and cover.
3. Remove the mushrooms from the oven and set the oven to broil. Sprinkle the vegan mozzarella over mushroom and top with the sun-dried tomatoes. Return to the oven and broil until the mozzarella has melted slightly, approximately 2 minutes.
4. While mushrooms are broiling, place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with remaining olive oil. Sauté the garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the baby spinach and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and red chili flakes.
5. Serve the polenta topped with sauteed spinach and a portobello mushroom. Sprinkle with chopped basil(optional).