I doubt many of us need to follow a fajita recipe, but the included fajita spice recipe is worth a look. This homemade version rivals any prepackaged fajita spice. I also included the accompanying cilantro-lime sauce and easy chipotle rice recipe.
1/2 each yellow, red and green bell pepper
1 lb portobello mushrooms
1 Tbsp fajita seasoning
1/4 cup vegan yogurt
FAJITA SPICE BLEND
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
5 oz bag Mahatma yellow rice
1 10oz can Rotel chipotle diced tomatoes
1 cup black beans, drained & rinsed
1 tsp chipotle in adobo (optional)
1. Bring 1 2/3 cup water, diced tomatoes and chipotle to a boil. Add rice and and black beans. Cover, reduce heat to low, simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with fork.
2. While rice is cooking, combine the chopped cilantro, juice from 1/2 lime, yogurt, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Slice peppers, onion and mushroom caps into strips.
4. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add the bell peppers, onion, portobello mushrooms. Cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the fajita seasoning and toss until well combined, about 1 minute.
5. Serve in warmed tortillas. Top with cilantro lime sauce.