Here's a tasty, and spicy, summer Moroccan inspired stew using summer squash and green beans. Harissa paste brings heat, while the other spices adds depth. I served this stew over farro and topped it with roasted harissa chickpeas, chopped mint and a side of vegan naan. Drizzle plain non-dairy yogurt or vegan sour cream over everything to tame the heat if you like. So flavorful. **Roasting the chickpeas is optional; they can just be added to the stew in step #3 instead. No rules, just yum.
Grain of choice
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 Tbsp harissa paste
1 cup vegetable broth
15 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 cup green beans, cut into 1" pieces
1 zucchini, sliced into 1/4 moons
1 yellow squash, sliced into 1/4" moons
1/2 cup dried fruit (I used 1/4 cup golden raisins and 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots)
Juice from 1/2 lemon (2 Tbsp)
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
Plain, unflavored non-dairy yogurt and vegan naan for serving(optional)
(Harissa Roasted Chickpeas)
15 oz can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp harissa paste
1. Cook grain of choice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 400°F. Pat chickpeas dry with a towel. In a bowl, combine chickpeas, 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp Harissa paste. Stir until well coated. Bake on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for 25 minutes, turning over half way through baking.
2. In a stockpot/dutch oven over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp oil, sauté onions, carrots and garlic until onions soft, approximately 6 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, ginger, tumeric and cinnamon and cook for 30 seconds to release aromatics. Add harissa paste and cook another 30 seconds. Add salt, broth and canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add green beans, zuchinni, yellow squash and dried fruit to stew(*if adding chickpeas directly to stew instead of roasting, add them now). Increase heat to bring to boil, then decrease to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
5. Serve stew over grain of choice. Top with Harissa Roasted Chickpeas and chopped mint. Serve with vegan naan and non-dairy yogurt or sourcream(optional)