I've been dreaming of the day when I could veganize one of my favorite take out dishes. With JUSTEGG and the vegan oyster flavored sauce I found at my local Asian market, my dream came to fruition. Vegan oyster sauce is also known as vegetarian stirfry sauce. It is completely optional as tamari/soy sauce can substitute. You choose whatever vegetables you like. No rules, just yum!
12 oz bottle JUSTEGG
1.5 Tbsp garbanzo bean flour
1 to 2 carrots, shredded
1/2 cup peas
1 cup bean sprouts, chopped into 2" pieces
3/4 cup mushrooms, thinly slices
1 cup shredded napa or green cabbage
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 Tbsp Mirin(or rice vinegar + 1/2 tsp sugar)
1/2 Tbsp vegan oyster sauce
1 Tbsp tamari/soy sauce
3 scallions, sliced
Rice if desired
1 cup "no chicken" vegetable broth
2 Tbsp vegan oyster sauce
1 Tbsp mirin or dry sherry
1 tsp sugar
4 tsp cornstarch
1. Cook rice according to package directions if using.
2. Wisk together JUSTEGG and garbanzo bean flour and set aside for 15 minutes before using.
3. Saute mushrooms and cabbage in large skillet for 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrots and continue to saute for another minute. Remove vegetables from heat, set aside.
4. Prepare gravy in small saucepan by heating all ingredients except cornstarch until boiling. Wisk together cornstarch with 3 Tbsp water to combine. Wisk mixture into boiling broth and continue to wisk until it thickens slightly about 2 minutes. Set aside.
5. Add 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1/2 Tbsp vegan oyster sauce, 1/2 Tbsp mirin and 1 Tbsp tamari to JUSTEGG, wisk to combine. Stir in all the vegetables except green onion.
6. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with a little oil. Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, scoop JUSTEGG mixture into pan, (cooking 2 to 3 omelettes at a time). Spread the vegetables out slightly, then as JUSTEGG cooks slightly, bring the sides in with a spatula to form circular omelette. Cook 3 minutes, flip and cook 2 more minutes. Sprinkle with black salt if desired.
7. Serve over rice(optional), smother in gravy then sprinkle green onions.
Makes 6 omelettes.