Okonomiyaki, a popular street food from Osaka, Japan is a savory pancake made with cabbage. Okonomi, means "what you like," and yaki means "cooked," so essentially it means anything goes. This recipe makes 2 giant pancakes, but feel free to make 4 smaller ones. So yum.
4 cups finely shredded green cabbage
1 large carrot, shredded
4 scallions, sliced, white & green parts separated
1/4 cup panko crumbs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup JUSTEGG
1/2 cup water
1Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp pickled ginger, thinly sliced
1/4 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
2-3 tsp sriracha
1. Prepare okonomiyaki sauce by whisking together ketchup, vegan Worcestershire, soy sauce and maple syrup. Set aside. Make sriracha mayonnaise by combining vegan mayonnaise and 2-3 tsp sriracha, depending on your preference for heat. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine cabbage, carrots, white parts of scallion and panko crumbs.
3. In a small bowl stir baking powder into flour. In another bowl, whisk together the JUSTEGG, water, soy sauce, until smooth. Slowly whisk in flour mixture and continue to wisk until well mixed.
4. Pour JUSTEGG mixture over vegetables and stir until the vegetables are mixed and everything is evenly coated in batter.
5. In a non-stick skillet over medium heat with 1 Tbsp oil, scoop half the mixture into pan and press down to form a circle and about 1/2 inch thick. Cook the pancake until golden brown on the bottom approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Carefully flip pancake by sliding onto plate, then cover plate with skillet, turn over and return to stove. (Remove plate and set aside).
6. Cook until golden brown on the second side, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Brush pancake with okonomiyaki sauce every 2 minutes. Remove pancake from skillet, set aside and keep warm. Repeat process with remaining batter.
7. To serve, spread some okonomiyaki sauce onto plates then slide pancake onto it. Drizzle with sriracha mayonnaise, top with pickled ginger slices, scallion greens and sprinkle with sesame seeds.