Aloo Keema is a Pakistani & North Indian dish consisting of curried meat (keema) and potatoes (aloo). This recipe was easy to veganize by using Impossible meat. I served it with a vegan sourcream & yogurt sauce.
1.5 lbs mini potatoes, quartered
1 large onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1" fresh ginger, minced
2 jalapeño peppers, deseeded, finely chopped
12 oz Impossible Meat
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
3/4 cup vegan sourcream
1/4 cup plain unflavored vegan yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice
2 scallions, sliced
Vegan naan (optional)
1. Put the potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Add 1 tsp of salt then cook until tender, approximately 9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp oil, sauté onions for 5 minutes. Season well with salt. Add garlic, ginger and jalapeño and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add the garam masala, turmeric, coriander and cumin and stir for 30 seconds to release aromatics. Add Impossible meat and cook for 6 minutes, breaking up with spatula while cooking.
3. Add tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 6 minutes.
4. While the Keema is simmering, stir together vegan sourcream, vegan yogurt and lemon juice. Season with a pinch of salt. Set aside.
5. Add peas and potatoes to Keema mixture, covrr and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro. Serve with naan and sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with scallions and additional cilantro.