Classic recipe with a vegan twist using shredded soy curls for chicken. If you haven't tried Butler Soy Curls, I highly recommend them. Add vegan sour cream, vegan cheese and black beans, and you've got a simple, delicious and filling dish to feed a hungry group. Yum.
1/2 bag(4oz) Butler Soy Curls
1 cup 'no chicken' vegetable broth
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 cup vegan sour cream
2- 4 oz cans diced green chiles
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups shredded vegan Mexican blend cheese
28 oz can green enchilada sauce
8 flour tortilla shells
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Heat broth to near boiling. Place soy curls in a bowl then pour broth over them. Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so liquid is absorbed evenly. Once rehydrated, squeeze liquid out with towel. Place in a food processor and pulse until shredded, approximately 6 to 7 pulses.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large skillet with 1 Tbsp oil, saute onions and garlic for 3 minutes. Season with salt. Stir in cumin and oregano and saute for 30 seconds to release aromatics. Add soy curls and cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat.
3. Stir in vegan sour cream, green chiles, black beans, 1 cup enchilada sauce and 1 cup shredded vegan cheese.
4. Spray bottom of 9"x 11" baking dish with cooking spray then pour in 1/2 cup enchilada sauce. Heat tortilla shells in microwave wrapped in damp towel for 1 minute.
5. Fill each tortilla shell with 1/8 of mixture. Fold and tuck ends under. Place seam side down in baking dish. Cover with remaining enchilada sauce then sprinkle with remaining vegan cheese.
6. Bake 30 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with additional vegan sour cream.