I've been making General Tso tofu long before I became vegan but with premade sauce. This delicious sauce is sticky, sweet and spicy. OMG yum!
1 1/2 cup rice of choice
1" fresh ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup tamari
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1-2 bird’s eye chilis
15 oz package extra firm tofu
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
4 scallions, sliced into 1" pieces
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1. Drain and press liquid from tofu. Pat dry and cut into 1" pieces. Prepare rice according to package directions.
2. While rice is cooking. In a medium bowl, wisk together the ginger, garlic, tamari, coconut sugar and rice vinegar. Continue to wisk until sugar dissolved. Add as much bird’s eye chili you like to the bowl.
3. In a large bowl, toss the tofu cubes with the cornstarch and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp vegetable oil. Add the tofu and cook, flipping until browned on each side, about 5 to 7 minutes total. Remove tofu from skillet, set aside.
4. Add broccoli to skillet and stirfry for 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup water, cover and cook until bright green and water absorbed, approximately 3 minutes.
5. Return tofu to skillet along with scallions and the stirfry sauce. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until the sauce is fragrant and sticky on the tofu, about 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.