I wish you could smell this. Vegan Kare-Kare is a simple, quick and flavorful eggplant stew. I used Asian eggplant but 1 large regular eggplant substitutes nicely.
2 & 1/4 cups jasmine rice, divided
1 onion, sliced
3 Asian eggplants, cut into 1" cubes
1 lb green bean, cut in 2" slices
1 lb bunch baby bok choy, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup tamari/soy sauce
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups vegetable broth
4 scallions, sliced
3 Tbsp peanuts, chopped
1. Divide rice, reserving 1/4 cup for next step. Cook remaining rice according to package directions.
2. Heat broth then wisk in peanut butter and tamari/soy sauce, set aside.
3. Add the reserved jasmine rice to a large pot over high heat. Toast the rice, stirring constantly, until it browns slightly and smells nutty, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer the toasted rice to a food processor and pulse into a coarse powder.
4. Return the pot to medium-high heat with 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add sliced onion and sauté 2 minutes. Add eggplant and continueto cook 2 minutes. Season well with salt. Add green beans and continue to cook 3 minuted. Add garlic and continue to cook another minute.
5. Stir in tomato paste, toasted rice and vegetable broth/peanut butter mixture. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to heat to medium low, and simmer stew until thickened, approximately 8 minutes.
6. Stir in baby bok choy and continue to simmer another 5 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt to taste.
7. Serve stew over jasmine rice topped with chopped peanuts and scallions.
Adapted from Purple Carrot