Spring soups aren't complete without a lemony orzo vegetable soup. This version goes creamy with the addition of a little vegan sour cream. You can use a plant-based creamer, plain plant-based milk or coconut milk instead. I served this tasty soup with a side salad and bread.
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled & chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup green beans, sliced
2 tsp Italian herbs/seasoning or Herbs de Provence
6 cups "no chicken" vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
2 cups baby spinach
15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup vegan sour cream
1 tsp lemon zest
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes(optional)
1. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onion, carrots and celery and cook 4 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper. Add garlic and green beans; continue to cook another 2 minutes. Stir in seasonings and cook to release aromatics, about 1 minute.
2. Add broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then stir in orzo; reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in spinach and cannellini beans until the spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
4. Stir in vegan sour cream until well mixed. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste then sprinkle with chili pepper flakes(optional).