With the abundance of zucchini on hand, these cornbread muffins are not only delicious, but easy to make and can be eaten anytime of day. I made them to accompany my favorite chili. Jalapenos and honee glaze are optional as these muffins are equally delish without. No rules, just yum.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
1 cup plain plant milk
1/2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
2 cups shredded zucchini,
1 cup grated sharp vegan cheddar
1 jalapeno pepper, minced plus rings
HONEE BUTTER GLAZE
2 Tbsp Bee Free honee
1 Tbsp vegan butter
1/4 tsp chili powder
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix ground flax seeds with 1/3 cup water, set aside. Add 1/2 tsp vinegar to plant milk, set aside. Grate zucchini with box grater, then press liquid from it with paper towel. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or use liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sea salt, and chili powder. Add the flax eggs, buttermilk, and melted vegan butter and whisk to combine. Add the zucchini, vegan cheddar cheese, jalapeño, and stir together.
3. Divide the batter between the 12 muffins cups and bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
4. While the muffins are baking, make the honee butter. Melt the honee and the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Stir in the chili powder.
5. Let the muffins rest for 5 minutes then remove them from the tin and let them cool on a baking sheet. Serve the chili honee butter on the side or drizzled over top.