Do you like it hot? If so, this one's for you. I love tofu especially when it's Asian cuisine. Yum
1.5 cups rice of choice
15 oz extra firm tofu, drained & pressed
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 Tbsp vegan butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch fresh ginger, minced
1 shallot, minced
1/8 tsp chili pepper flakes
3 scallions, sliced in 1" pieces
1 celery stalk, sliced in 1" pieced
1/4 cup tamari
2 Tbsp coconut/brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp ground black pepper
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Add the tamari and brown sugar to a small bowl and whisk until dissolved. Set aside.
2. Cut into 1 inch cubes. Place the cubed tofu in a bowl and toss with the cornstarch. Heat 2 Tbsp vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook, tossing occasionally, until crispy and browned in places, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt.
3. Return the skillet to medium heat and add the butter. Saute garlic, ginger, shallot, and chili peppers, stirring constantly, until the shallot has softened, approximately 2 minutes.
4. Add the tofu, scallion, celery, tamari mixture and pepper to the skillet. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the tofu is heated through and sauce is sticky, approximately 3 minutes. Remove from skillet and serve aside and keep warm.
5. Increase heat to high. Add the broccoli to the skillet and stirfry for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, cover and cook until bright green approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt.
6. Serve black pepper tofu and skillet steamed broccoli over rice.