Looking for a vegan roast to wow your holiday guests with? Mmmm this delicious BOSH recipe will do just that. This seitan roast is stuffed with store-bought pork-flavored stuffing (Stove Top brand is vegan) and applesauce, then coated with maple syrup before baking. Smothered with BOSH brown gravy, this will have everyone racing for seconds!
1/2 box (3oz) vegan stuffing mix
2 Tbsp applesauce
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp pork seasoning (recipe in comments)
2 tsp garlic granules (or garlic powder)
1.5 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp red miso paste
1 tsp soy sauce (dark preferred)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp maple syrup
Fresh thyme sprig
Fresh rosemary sprig
PORK SEASONING BLEND (makes 5 Tbsp)
4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp onion powder
1.5 tsp smoked paprika
1.5 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne powder
1.5 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 dried basil
1. In a bowl, combine stuffing mix with 3/4 cup boiling water. Set aside. Once cooled to room temperature, spread out on waxed paper to form a square. Spread applesauce down center of stuffing square then, using paper to assist, roll up into a tube. Twist ends of wax paper to close and refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. Fill a large pot with 8 inches of water to boil. In a bowl (or stand mixer) combine dry ingredients; vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, pork seasoning, garlic granules, paprika, onion powder and brown sugar. Mix well. Stir in red miso paste, soy sauce, olive oil and 3/4 cup water. Stir well to combine.
3. Knead dough ball by hand for 4 to 5 minutes (stand mixer for 3 minutes), Let rest 15 minutes, then knead another 2 to 3 minutes. Using rolling pin, roll out to form a square. Transfer to sheet of foil.
4. Remove stuffing tube from wax paper and place on seitan square. Roll up seitan and stuffing into a loaf using foil paper to assist in rolling. Fold in ends and pinch to close. Twist ends of foil closed. Place in boiling water and simmer on low boil for 40 minutes, turning halfway through.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Once seitan has finished simmering, remove from parchment/foil and transfer to a roasting pan. Score top of roast every 1" with a knife. Brush or rub roast well with maple syrup well. Drizzle 1-2 Tbsp olive oil over roast and sprinkle with salt. Add a sprig of thyme and rosemary to pan alongside roast. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.