Oh yum, Asian eggplant & tofu in a spicy sauce served over rice is one of my favorites. I buy Asian eggplants from my local Asian market. Regular eggplant can be used too, but Asian eggplant has firmer flesh which is best in stirfry. If you happen to have chili bean sauce in your pantry, use it. However, I don't so miso paste & sriracha substitute perfectly. Enjoy.
2 cups rice of choice
14 oz extra firm tofu, pressed & dried
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp chili-garlic sauce(sambal oelek)
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup soy sauce, divided
4 Asian eggplants, ends trimmed
2/3 cup no chicken broth(or vegetable broth)
1/4 cup mirin
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp sriracha
1 tsp white miso paste
(Alternately use 2 tsp chili bean sauce instead of miso paste & sriracha)
3 scallions chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1" fresh ginger, minced
Additional sliced scallions for garnish
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Slice tofu into 1/2" pieces by standing tofu on its side and slice down center. Reposition horizontal and cut into 8 slices. Turn a quarter turn and cut into another 8 slices. Place tofu into a bowl.
2. Wisk together rice vinegar, sambal olek, cornstarch and 1 Tbsp soy sauce. Pour over tofu and carefully toss to coat. Set aside.
3. Slice eggplants in half lengthwise then cut halfs lengthwise again. Slice into 2" pieces. Soak in cold water while preparing stirfry sauce.
4. Wisk together broth, sugar, miso paste, sriracha, mirin, sesame oil and remaining 3 Tbsp soy sauce. Continue to wisk until miso past and sugar dissolved.
5. Drain and pat dry eggplant. In a large skillet/wok over high heat, add 1 Tbsp oil(avocado) and 1 Tbsp sesame oil. Working in batches, stirfry half the eggplant until browned, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from skillet. Add another 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp sesame oil and repeat with other half of eggplant. Remove from skillet. Sprinkle with salt.
6. Return skillet to high heat with 2 Tbsp oil. Cook tofu, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add chopped scallions, garlic and ginger then continue to stirfry another 2 minutes.
7. Pour stirfry sauce over tofu and continue to cook for 2 minutes, until thickened a little. Return eggplant to skillet and carefully toss to coat. Remove from heat. Serve over rice and sprinkle with sliced scallions.