I used a recipe I found for gooey vegan mozzarella cheese and added kappa carrageenan to firm it up a little so I could slice it or grate it. I only used 1 Tbsp of kappa carrageenan, so it was still the consistency of a soft mozzerella; if you want and even firmer cheese increase it to 1.5 Tbsp. Kappa carrageenan is a natural hydrocolloid extract from specific red seaweed species that are farmed and processed. It is used as a suspending and emulsifying stablizer, thickener, binder and gelling agent.
1 Tbsp psyllium powder
1/4 cup raw cashews + 1/4 cup boiling water
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp agave
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp Kappa Carrageenan
2 tsp Himalayan salt
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
1 2/3 cup boiling water
1. Soak cashews in 1/4 cup boiling water for 10 minutes. Wisk together psyllium powder with 2 Tbsp water to thicken.
2. Drain cashews then blend all ingredients except boiling water until cashews are broken into small pieces and sticking to sides of blender.
3. Pour in 1 2/3 cup boiling water and blend on high for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Spray container with a little cooking spray. Pour cheese mixture into container. Let cool on counter then cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Slice or grate, then bake to melt and brown.