When summer comes around, these grilled veggies & feta sandwiches are my all time favorite. I often grill a bunch of vegetables to toss with pasta then use the leftovers for sandwiches. If you don't feel like making the marinade, just toss veggies in your favorite store bought salad dressing(Italian, Greek or Balsamic). No rules, just yum.
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 small eggplant, sliced in 1/2" quarter moons
1-2 zucchini, 1/2" slices
1 yellow squash, 1/2" slices
1 sweet pepper, cut into chunks
8 oz mushrooms, quartered/halved
8 oz cherry tomatoes
2 red onions
Vegan feta cheese, crumbled
1/3-1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1 clove garlic minced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Place eggplant slices on a towel lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with a little salt and let rest until ready to toss in marinade. Slice 1/2 of red onion to use raw on finished sandwiches, then cut the remaining 1.5 red onions into 8.
2. Combine red wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, minced garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
3. Place chopped vegetables in a large bowl. Add rested eggplant. Pour over marinade over vegetables, toss then let marinate for 30 minutes.
4. Stir together vegan mayonnaise, minced garlic and parsley. Set aside.
5. Grill vegetables on BBQ over medium high heat until browned and tomatoes blister open. I suggest a vegetable grilling basket/pan so not to lose any vegetables.
6. Slice baguette lengthwise, then into sandwich sized portions. Toast baguette on upper shelf of grill for 2 minutes(or toast).
7. Assemble sandwiches by spreading herbed mayonnaise onto baguette. Top with lettuce, grilled vegetables, sliced red onions and vegan feta cheese.