In Sweden, meatballs aren't served in gravy, but rather served plain or with lingonberry jam. I, however, can't imagine meatballs without the creamy gravy. I served these delicious plant-based balls over mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.
1/2 cup vegan breadcrumbs(Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup plain plant-based milk
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp all spice
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
1.5 lbs (2 x 12oz packages) plant-based ground meat
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
1 Tbsp vegan butter
1 tsp olive oil
1/3 cup vegan butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup vegetable broth, heated
1 cup "no beef" vegetable broth, heated
1 cup plant-based creamer, heated
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dijon mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large bowl, mix the breadcrumbs together with the plant-based milk, garlic, salt, pepper and allspice. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Once the milk has absorbed some, add in the onion, plant-based ground and 3 Tbsp parsley. Mix well with your hands to combine. Form 24 meatballs. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tsp oil then melt 1 Tbsp vegan butter. Cook meatballs in batches of 12 until browned,, approximately 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4. Prepare sauce by adding 1/3 cup butter to the skillet. Once melted, whisk in the flour and cook 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the broth whisking continously until bubbling. Stir in plant-based creamer, soy sauce,vegan Worcestershire and dijon mustard. Bring to a to simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Once thickened a little, return meatballs to skillet and continue to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Serve over mashed potatoes, or vegan buttered noodles. Sprinkle with remaining chopped parsley.
Adapted & veganized from Café Delights