My new favorite Macaroni & Cheese recipe adapted from Purple Carrot. Miso paste adds a bit of unami flavor while adding depth to this super creamy sauce. I also added 2 slices of Chao brand vegan cheese for extra creaminess(optional). I think you're going to love this one.
1 lb cavatappi/macaroni
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1/4 cup vegan butter
2 Tbsp white miso paste
1/4 cup flour
3 cups plain plant milk
8 oz/1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 pickled jalapeños, minced
1 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds(pepitas)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1. Prepare cavatappi/macaroni to al dente according to package directions. Drsin and set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. In a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in onion, garlic, miso paste, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute until the onion is translucent, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in flour and continue to cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly wisk in the milk. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a blender. Add the shredded cheddar and a pinch of salt. Blend until cheese sauce is smooth.
3. Spray the dutch oven with a little cooking spray to prevent sticking(or use a lightly greased baking dish) combine the pasta with the cheese sauce, roasted red peppers and minced jalapeños until well mixed.
4. Add the pumpkin seeds, nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt to a food processor and pulse until it becomes a course powder( or finely chop pumpkin seeds). Sprinkle pepita parmesan over macaroni and cheese.
5. Bake macaroni and cheese until hot, approximately 13 to 15 minutes.