Adapted from a Purple Carrot recipe. It's hard to believe these ingredients come together, but they create a symphony of flavor in your mouth. This is one of my favorite salads. Yum.
1 block organic extra-firm tofu, drained & pressed
1 romaine heart, chopped
1 scallion, sliced
1 Thai chili (optional)
1/4 cup peanut butter
1.5 tbsp tamari
1.5 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
4 oz (1 cup) shredded purple & green cabbage
1/2 cup crispy onions
1/2 oz cilantro, chopped
1. Trim and chop the eggplant into 1/2 inch pieces. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt. Cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes
2. In a medium bowl, add the juice from the lime, peanut butter, tamari, rice vinegar, sesame oil, chili peppers (optional) and 1/4 cup warm water. Whisk the peanut dressing until smooth.
3. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp vegetable oil, cook eggplant until browned in places, about 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt, remove and set aside.
4. Return the skillet to medium-high heat with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Add the tofu and a pinch of salt and cook until browned and crispy in places, about 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside with eggplant.
5. In a large bowl, combine the chopped romaine, cabbage, cilantro, scallion and half of the peanut dressing, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss the chopped salad well to combine.
6. Divide the chopped salad onto large plates and top with eggplant and tofu. Drizzle with the remaining peanut dressing. Top with crispy onions.