I'm not much of a baker so I rely on others like SlavicVegan for my sweets obsession. This is a simple recipe that makes a small cake, so no guilt when you and your spouse decide to eat the entire thing in one day lol. Link to original recipe.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegan butter, softened
2/3 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup plant milk (room temperature)
3 Tbsp aquafaba (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups strawberries
1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a cake form and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat together soften shortening and 2/3 cup sugar until fluffy. You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer for this.
3. Add plant-based milk, aquafaba and vanilla extract. Continue mixing to incorporate. Finally add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix just until everything is combined, don’t over-mix.
4. Pour the batter into the cake form and top it with sliced rhubarb. Slice or chop the strawberries and spread them over the rhubarb.
5. Sprinkle the top with remaining sugar and bake for 45-50 minutes (I baked mine for 55 minutes) or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let the cake cool down in the form for 15-20 minutes before removing. Then place it onto the cooling rack to cool down completely.
7. If desired, dust the cake with some powdered sugar and serve.